Networker

Re: [Networker] Failed to read 65536 byte block with 32768 byte read

2006-07-05 10:01:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Failed to read 65536 byte block with 32768 byte read
From: Joel Krajden <joelk AT ENCS.CONCORDIA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:40:22 -0400
You see this message when Networker is trying to read/write with a different blocksize than the tape has been labeled with.

This will sometimes cause tapes to be marked full prematurely and somtimes cause excessive rewinds.

1) Check that Networker's default blocksize for the tape device is correct or set the NSR_BLOCKSIZE_???DeviceType variable to what is recommended by the manufacturer and export it during the networker startup script

2) After setting the blocksize relabel tapes that can be rcycled.

Just a note for Networker NDMP backups of NetApp filers with direct attached tapes using LTO-3 drives. Networker as of 7.2 defaults to 128KB blocks for LTO-3 drives. The filer's use a native dump called by NDMP which forces 64KB blocks. You need to set the NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_LTO_ULTRIUM_3=64 variable or backups will typically fail or timeout and mark the tape as full.

Joel