Networker

Re: [Networker] Never ending groups (sry last subject wrong)

2006-06-30 12:51:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Never ending groups (sry last subject wrong)
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:49:36 -0400
Patricio,

I seem to recall having this problem once on cloning. My theory/guess is
it backups up the boxes, then, goes to clone the savesets.  The saveset
list generated is getting some old ssid(s) to clone.

How did I fix it.... I think when I stopped the group it generated a
completion report saying "ssid xxx was not cloned..".   I think I deleted
all those savesets as they were expired and beyond any retentions..the
tape had not come back on site yet.  I may have deleted/relabeled those
volumes.

I suspect mediab corruption of some sort on paticular volumes/ssids or
clients.  Order of addressing it  in order of least pain to most
was/would be:

a.) nsrim -X , nsrck -L6    (but you said it didn't work)

b.) mediab scavenge procedure;  search the archives or get it from EMC.

c.) At this point choices are deal with the offending ssids/volumes or
abandon the mediadb (start with all new tapes).  Based on what was on the
tapes I had I relabeled them and the problem went away.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:08:34 +0200, Patricio Mora
<patricio.mora.ext AT JUNTADEANDALUCIA DOT ES> wrote:

>Hello all. I've a problem with two groups with automatic cloning (don't
>know if this is relevant info or not)
>
>Both groups seem to finish well, also the cloning does, but then both
>keep on waiting with a pending saveset (one or two machine's indexes),
>and the server asks for an old (off-site) tape to be mounted. The groups
>must be stopped by hand.
>
>I tried to remove the machines affected with the pending savesets from
>the groups, but still both keep on complaining with another machines'
>
>I had a similar problem in version 6.X. Got the tapes back from
>off-site, supplied them to server, and it asked for more and more tapes
>each time it was finished with one, as in an unending process. I
>reinstalled 7.0.
>
>?Can you imagine what kind of operation with indexes it's willing to do,
>for requiring old tapes? nsrck -L 6 does nothing, so I suppose indexes
>on disk (21 GB) are fine.
>
>I had hardware problems recently, and group and server crashes. And
>server is doing other odd things, as keeping on using Default Pool for a
>group correctly assigned to its pool. Another fact maybe relevant is
>that currently, for cooling problems, we are switching off 25% of
>networker clients every night. And some of them are finishing in the
>morning, not using the 20 or 30 minutes group timeout.
>
>Server EBS 7.0 on Solaris 9.
>
>TIA and sorry if situation it's not clear enough, I think its a kind of
>degradation or corruption.

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems