Networker

[Networker] exchange disaster recovery question

2006-06-30 06:35:47
Subject: [Networker] exchange disaster recovery question
From: bob flynn <bob.flynn AT S3GROUP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:32:58 +0100
Hi,

I have read the following;

"Legato Networker Module for Microsoft Exchange"

administrators guide, rel 4.1

I am both confused on one point, and looking for general best practice
from sites running this currently.

Confusion.

>From an earlier responce received on this list, it seems that you cannot
mix exchange enabled backups and general savesets on the same client
instance.

Its easily worked around by creating a second instance of the client and
removing the exchange specific backup command and save sets ( this is
referred back to later - so bear with me !! ).

In the disaster recovery section, ie Chapter 7, it outlines that you.

( Rebuilding to same box ).

Task 1. Install the OS on the exchange server host.
Task 2. Configure the exchange server for the recovery
Task 3 Recovery the File System to the exchange Server Host.
Task 4 Recover the Exchange data.

Questions.

I assume ( this is a question ), that a ghost image of the box is ok for
Task 1 and 2. The reason I ask is for DR, I am looking for the fastest
route, and a ghost image recovery is faster from my perspective.

Task 3.

As this is a recovery of the file system, and not exchange, that a
separate backup of the box should be done to recover ( see earlier point
about does this require a separate client ? ).

    * All local physical drives
    * SYSTEM STATE
    * SYSTEM FILES
    * SYSTEM DB

Task 4.

This is a straight full exchange DB recovery.

So my second query.

Are there any points missing from the above that I should be aware of,
and any hints on general good practice for DR with exchange/legato.

Thanks,

-Bob

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential
and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you
are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or
retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this
e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications AT s3group DOT com.
Thank You.