Networker

Re: [Networker] Stopping use of the default pool

2006-06-29 14:59:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stopping use of the default pool
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:57:57 -0500
I'll add that it's a general best practice not to use the Default
pool for anything.  That way, when something asks for a default tape
(and the pool is empty,) you know right away that something is
misconfigured or misapplied.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 01:59:30PM -0400, Clark, Patricia wrote:
> There is no group association for manually backups that are started by a
> client.

Yeah, which says to me manual backups were an after-thought and have yet
to mature into a real product feature.

> I also use Stan's method of having specialty groups for both manual and
> out of schedule backups.  I have a specialty schedule that I adjust for
> this run, usually a full backup.  This provides the flexibility I
> usually need and will put the backups in the right tape pool.  Just
> remember to "Preview" the group before kicking it off to catch any
> unwanted clients that you forgot to uncheck from the group.

I have many of those Failed and Manual groups too where disobediant
backup clients go until I can manually run them and set them right.  For
probes and previews, and executions, of one-off clients, I've been
leaving them in their normal groups and running "savegrp -l <level> -c
<client> Group" (add -p or -v as needed.)  It gets the job done and is
less work than updating the group membership, starting a group with a
single member, setting things back when it finishes, etc.

I also have a shell script named start-group that I use to kick off
manual backups.  Handy when I don't have X or the GUI around.

--- CUT HERE start-group ---
#! /bin/sh

if [ -z $1 ]; then
  echo "usage: start-group $group name"
  exit 1
fi

/usr/sbin/nsradmin -s BACKUPS-SERVER -i - <<END
. type: Nsr group; name: $1
update autostart: "start now"
quit
END
--- CUT HERE ---

I presume I could do something similar for a kill-group script, but I've
never looked up what nsradmin command I'd have to give it.  I usually
wind up loading up the GUI for that.

I use the Networker scheduler for the rest of my groups, except for the
monthly and quarterly backups -- I just run those manually so I don't
have to calculate a schedule for them (a level defined in a group trumps
one defined in a schedule) or get savegroup reports full of skips 30 out
of 31 days of the month.  I don't really have any scheduler complaints,
other than clients that make the savegroup hang and stop it from running
24 hours later if the first group is still running.

Dave