Networker

Re: [Networker] How to duplicate a client from command line?

2006-06-28 10:38:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to duplicate a client from command line?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:29:13 -0500
On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:52:43PM +0200, Manel Rodero wrote:
> So the idea is create an script similar to this:
>
> - The day of the special backup execute an script that
> - Lists all the clients in the normal group and duplicate them chaging the
> retention/browse policy and the backup group
> - Do the backup (start the group)
> - When the backup finishes, erase these special clients (the data in the
> tapes will not be erased because of its 1 year retention policy)

As was mentioned, it's probably easiest (since the only thing you're
changing/duplicating in the special instance of the client is the
browse/retention time,) to use the normal backup/configuration instance
and use mminfo to modify the retention for those savesets.

I deal with having two instances per client here (one for daily backups,
another for monthly/quarterly archives) and it has it quirks, but it
works.

> If we need to recover data from these special backups (rarely), we will
> recreate the necessary client and recover its data.

Multiple instances aren't actually different clients.  If you turn on
the detailed view, you'll see they have the same client id that
Networker uses to associate backup to client.  As long as at least one
client instance in your environment exists with the client id of the
saveset you want to restore, you're fine.  If you ever delete a client
(all configuration instances) and later want to restore some data, save
yourself some effort by recording the client id before deleting all the
client instances.  Later, when you need to do a restore, recreate the
client with the same client id and the restore should work fine.

Dave