Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving away from Networker

2006-06-23 19:56:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving away from Networker
From: Siobhan Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:54:37 +1000
>I was told by EMC executives that the only reason that 7.3 wasn't called
>7.5 or 8.0 is that they had already put out a product roadmap that some of
>their VARs and perhaps largest customers had seen that indicated that
>certain large features (I have no idea what, and I didn't care to ask)
>would be in 8.0.  In other words, 8.0 was spoken for, so they couldn't
>name the release that became 7.3 an 8.0 release, even though it would
>have gotten that bump under other circumstances.

[Siobhan Ellis>] Which is why we always used project names and why mnajor
relases could be .5 or a .0, so they should've made it a 7.5

As for releasing functionality in a .. release, as they have said now,
that's just crazy!

> Sale of Legato to EMC
> Was the sale of Legato to EMC a mistake? Are you kidding me? EMC aka
> Deep Pockets, top shelf quality solutions buying Legato, how could that
> be anything but a great thing for anyone using Legato products? It may
> take them a while to assimilate every nuance and process but I believe
> that was a great thing for legato product users.

[Siobhan Ellis>] If EMC hadn't bought Legato, there would be no NetWorker.
Legato was going out of business!

> Cost for Support... You get what you pay for. 24/7 support, some need it
> some don't. I believe we are paying 9-5 support right now. How could you
> pay $35k a year for support and have any kind of problem what so ever?

Still, I really do think that NetWorker was far and away the best product
in its class when we started with it, and I think there are areas where
it's still the best.  I honestly hope that EMC's stewardship of the
product can return it to being the king of the enterprise backup/restore
products.  Some days it just seems to be extra hard to keep that hope
going.

[Siobhan Ellis>] Enterprise Backups products are becoming a commodity. If
you look at the top ones, you'll notice the functionality is very similar.
The only differentiators, often, are a specific piece of functionality that
someone may want, or ongoing support costs (You think NetWorker support
costs are bad, look at NetBackup!). It's a sad thing, as I am a big
supporter of NetWorker, but often the reason someone doesn't change is it is
just too hard. But having said that, why change? Because you'll just get
more of the same. No product is perfect, and no release is perfect. You
change to another product, I guarantee you'll have headaches.