Networker

[Networker] Bug regressions?

2006-06-22 06:02:21
Subject: [Networker] Bug regressions?
From: Stan Sander <ssande AT SANDIA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:00:49 -0600
I seem to have noticed on this list recently a couple of threads that glaringly show examples of bug regressions within the Networker code. I'm wondering how many of you have had to deal with this? It seems to me that a software company would do everything in their power to ensure that a bug that is fixed once is fixed for good. What I seem to have noticed is that a particular bug will be fixed in a patched or hotfix release for a limited number of customers that are experiencing it, but then that fix is not rolled up into the next release whether that release is a minor dot release or a major release. It appears to me that EMC seems to think that bug regression is an acceptable business strategy. Maybe I'm just being overly harsh or critical but I decided to throw this out there and let the community on this list kick it around.

Here is just the latest example from another current thread on this list that was posted by Oscar referring to auth failures when nsrmmgd starts too quickly that Siobhan originally posted about:

I can confirm this as well. We had this problem in netwroker 7.3, but it seems to have been fixed in the 7.3 jumbo patch, but since we upgraded to 7.3.1 it has occured again.

Sad state of affairs, IMHO.

(steps down from soapbox after a good rant, feeling much better....)

--
Stan Sander - CSU Special Projects  (505)284-4915
ASAP, LLC, Contractor assigned to Sandia National Laboratories

Microsoft: You've got questions. We've got a dancing paperclip.

"signoff networker" in the