Networker

Re: [Networker] How to backup servers running on VMWARE....

2006-06-16 09:02:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to backup servers running on VMWARE....
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 07:01:42 -0600
There are a number of ways to do it.
1) Best practice (and most expensive) is to install the Netwroker client on
each vmware instance.
2) Suspend each instance and then backup the entire instance (which is what
we do)
3) Take a snapshot of each instance, and backup the snapshot.

If you are backing up the ESX servers over GB ethernet, then you can doany
of the above. If they are backed up over 10/100 then use #1.

We backup our ESX server twice a day. Each time suspending different
instances (separates our production and non-production stuff).

Ken