Networker

[Networker] disaster recovery to a different server

2006-06-12 08:45:13
Subject: [Networker] disaster recovery to a different server
From: "Sackson [US], Mark A." <Mark.Sackson AT SPERRY.NGC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:41:02 -0400
We are testing our DR plan on a W2k3 server. We are trying to restore
the backup to a new box, that is not part of the domain, but can
communicate with the NetWorker server. Every time we try to restore the
data, we get a RPC error.

Legato says that the new server has to be part of the same domain as the
original server. While in a real DR, we would probably do this, but of
our test, we are afraid that the following will occure:

1. Join the recovery server to the domain - this will change the GUID
associated with the server in AD and set a new kerb password on the
computer account
2. Perform full system recovery on the recovery server, including system
state - this will restore the previous GUID and kerb password
3. Server reboots with previous GUID and attempts to log into the
domain.  What happens?

Any thoughts?

Mark