Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape log

2006-06-05 14:57:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape log
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:54:27 -0500
Librado,

We use an MS Access database.  It's still a fairly manual process but we
wrote a form for input of changes to the status of tapes.  We not only use
it for backup tapes but for all archived media (we have old reel to reel
tapes, QIC tapes, 8mm tapes, 4mm tapes, CD's, DVD, and even some paper
documentation in the database).

As far as the structure of the DB we have 4 tables.  The first 3 are Status
Options (On-site, Off-site, Destroyed, Unknown etc.), System Options (the
system names or other sources of the backup/archive), Tape Type Options
(AIT-4, 8MM, CDROM, Microfilm, etc).  They are used to validate entries in
fields in the Tapes table.  The Tapes table has the following fields:

        Tape #
        Status
        Backup Date
        Backup Description
        System
        Tape Type
        Brand                           (The brand of the media)
        Comment
        Date New/Last Cleaned   (The date of first use)
        Pickup Slip #
        Date Sent Out
        Date Due Back

The last 3 fields are to keep track of tapes sent to our off-site storage
provider.  There is also a field called 'Backup Date Text' that I use when
the backups on the tape cover more than one date.  Then I put the date of
the last backup on the tape in the Backup Date field and the range in the
text field.

I've been considering some upgrades to the DB but haven't got around to it
yet.  The changes I'd like to make is to add something that links groups of
media together (for instance our full backups take 3 AIT-4 tapes but nothing
in the DB ties them together for that backup).  I'd also like to automate
the return of tapes from off-site.  In other words, automatically bringing
up the tapes due back on a particular day and hitting one button that
updates the status on all of them.  Right now I go through each record
manually.  I also would like to add something that keeps a history of use so
I can count how many times a tape has been reused.

Hope this helps, Dave.

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon