Networker

Re: [Networker] Sizing a Linux x86 server for Networker

2006-06-02 01:07:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sizing a Linux x86 server for Networker
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:06:16 +1000
Memory depends on what you are doing of course. How many sessions you have running at once, how many mmd's, etc

Siobhan

From: Dag Nygren <dag AT newtech DOT fi>
To: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>, "Siobhán" Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
CC: dag AT newtech DOT fi
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sizing a Linux x86 server for Networker Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:03:13 +0300

> Tim is correct.
>
> NetWorker is memory and I/O hungry, not really CPU hungry.
>
> So, bags of memory and as many discreet IO buses as possible.

Agree completely on the I/O side, but are you really sure about the
memory part. It is quite some time since I tested this (2-3 years ago),
but at least back then it didn't make a noticeable difference whether
you had 0,5 GB or 4 GB of RAM??

As to threads Networker 7.3 seems to have a threaded nsrindexd now,
which does take more advantage of multicore CPU:s. But really CPU
power is seldom the bottleneck.

Best
Dag

"signoff networker" in the