Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange server tiers

2006-05-16 17:55:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange server tiers
From: Tobias Speckbacher <TSpeckbacher AT QUOVA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:54:05 -0700
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Legato NetWorker discussion
[mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU]
> On Behalf Of Clark, Patricia
> Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:39 PM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange server tiers
>
> Oracle DOES count dual core as 2 CPUs for their licensing purposes.
> Other vendors don't.  (Besides, as long as they are up front on their
> pricing structure, you can't get legal about it.)  I really need to
> know.  We are adding our Windows servers into the Networker fold.  I
> don't have an EMC/Legato sales rep. to ask.

That was true a while ago, even Oracle has seen the light in this
matter.
Their license is not vendor neutral, but at least its not 1 core = 1
cpu.

Quote from the license:

"Processor: shall be defined as all processors where the Oracle programs
are installed and/or running. Programs licensed on a processor basis may
be accessed by your internal users (including agents and contractors)
and by your third party users. For the purpose of counting the number of
processors which require licensing for a Sun UltraSPARC T1 processor
with 4, 6 or 8 cores at 1.0 gigahertz or 8 cores at 1.2 gigahertz for
only those servers specified on the Sun Server Table which can be
accessed at http://oracle.com/contracts , "n" cores shall be determined
by multiplying the total number of cores by a factor of .25. For the
purposes of counting the number of processors which require licensing
for AMD and Intel multicore chips, "n" cores shall be determined by
multiplying the total number of cores by a factor of .50. For the
purposes of counting the number of processors which require licensing
for all hardware platforms not otherwise specified in this section, a
multicore chip with "n" cores shall be determined by multiplying "n"
cores by a factor of .75. All cores on all multicore chips for each
licensed program for each factor listed below are to be aggregated
before multiplying by the appropriate factor and all fractions of a
number are to be rounded up to the next whole number. Notwithstanding
the above, when licensing Oracle Standard Edition One or Standard
Edition programs on servers with a maximum of 1 processor with 1 or 2
cores, only 1 processor shall be counted."

http://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?media=os_g_en
glish_help_licensing&section=11365&minisite=10021&respid=22372&grp=STORE
&language=US