Networker

Re: [Networker] How to work around a bad tape?

2006-05-15 20:23:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to work around a bad tape?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:20:40 -0700
> Just seems like with save set recover that NetWorker outa be able to
> work around one or more required tapes and just pull off whatever is
> there, leaving it up to you to deal with the aftermath. If NetWorker
> knows where the save set starts on the tape then why should it matter
> whether or not it has one or more of the required tapes, except for the
> one actual file that spans? Maybe not that simple?

Well, non save set recover would do that by only using the tape
necessary.  It's just that a full save set recover will necessarily use
all tapes, and it'll error (rather than let you continue) if you don't
have them all.

If you just want "everything that you do have", there's a couple of
things I can think of.

1) By heavy scripting, you use the output of 'nsrinfo' to track where
   every file in the backup is within the saveset (I hope your saveset
   is still browsable....)  Then by using 'mminfo' output, you are able
   to position every file onto a volume.  Finally, script a restore of
   only those files that are on available volumes.

2) Use 'mminfo' to locate where the portions of the saveset that you
   have are located.  Then run those portions through 'scanner | uasm'
   and directly recover them onto the server.  I *think* you can do that
   even in the middle of a saveset.  (If you can't, then this is no more
   useful than starting a recover and stopping when it hits the first
   missing tape).