Networker

Re: [Networker] HELP - BRP

2006-05-15 05:19:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] HELP - BRP
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:17:36 +0100
Scalise, Kathleen (NSTS.JAX) wrote:
The device block size in Networker Admin 'Configuration' tab for the drive is "handler default". Is there where I set it to 128K?? In the 'Volume' tape of the device it reflect 128K. Below the Record size = 131072 bytes = 128K?
Checking my main backup server that the tape was created on, it is the same.

Kathleen,

The "More data is available" error messages definitely indicates a block size mismatch, telling you that the blocksize of the data on the tape is larger than you can read on your DR server.

If you have not changed the block size (by setting an environment variable on your main server), then NetWorker will be using its defaults, so you are looking slightly in the wrong place. The most likely explanation is the the hardware at your DR site cannot read data written with the NetWorker LTO-3 default blocksize due to a limitation of the driver for the HBA. I would guess that the HBA in use at your DR site is not the same as your main site, or is perhaps using a different driver or different servicepack.

To resolve this you will need to either change the HBA or change the driver on your DR site. Another approach is to reduce the block size on your main site to match the limitation on your DR site, however this does not help you to read this particular tape, and this approach could result in a performance degradation.

"signoff networker" in the