Networker

Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library

2006-05-11 09:44:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:41:11 -0400
Tommy and all -

This week has been the week of tweeking and tuning.  I am grateful for all
the input and ideas from this group.

Tweak #1

Initially, my default setup had all the data going through a single 2gb
fibre channel to the tape drives - all the clients backing up through a
single fibre channel on the same legato server,ignoring the storage node .
 So I updated my storage node affinity on half my servers.
After that fix, we were using a single fibre channel on the main server
and a single fc on the storage node.

Tweak #2

Since legato seems to pick drives sequentially as needs another resouce, I
opted to set up my drives such that the odd number drives go through one
fibre channel, and the even numbers go through the alternate channel.  I
set up a set of symlinks (as suggested here in this group) as
/dev/jb/drive## and pointed them to /dev/rmt/##cbn.  I also was able to
call my drive## in the sequential order that they are in the tape library
and as legato sees them.  Looks so much cleaner now.
After that fix, we are finally using both fibre channels on both machines.
 Total throughput remotely possible both machines combined = 8Gb/sec. I'll
be content if I realistically see half that sustained.

Overall, everything is working well.  No issues as far as hardware or
software compatability.
I forgot to set up an iostat to capture my throughput overnight.  I'll get
that going for tonight - but the results I will be most interested in
myself are for the full backups on the weekend.

More updates to come next week.

Jim

"Tommy Carlsson" <tommy.carlsson AT calvia DOT se> wrote on 05/11/2006 04:59:26
AM:

> Hi Jim!
>
> Are you running some test on T2000 now?
>
> Regards
> Tommy

T2000
> / LTO3 solution - probably in the next couple weeks.
>
> Our setup is
>         Networker 7.2.1 running on Solaris 10
>         ADIC i2000 with 10 LTO3 drives (connected to fibre switch via 3
> i/o blades @ 2 fibres per blade)
>         Two SunFire T2000 - each connected to the fibre switch via 2
> fibres
>         We have DDS for all 10 drives, so with the fibre redundancy,
each
> sun server sees each of the 10 drives twice, so networker sees all 10
> drives via 4 different paths
>         The SunFires each connect to our backup ethernet switch via
10Gig
> Ethernet.

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation.
Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result
of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited.