Networker

Re: [Networker] Unix to Linux Migration

2006-05-10 13:02:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Unix to Linux Migration
From: Tobias Speckbacher <TSpeckbacher AT QUOVA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:58:48 -0700
The same best practices regarding partitioning that apply to UNIX apply
to Linux.  Everything mounted to / is for desktop systems ... if even
for that.

If you want to avoid having multiple mount points for your oracle data
take a look at lvm.  In general overall io throughput should increase
having multiple block devices, as each device has its own device buffer.

Anyway, partition it like you would partition any *nix box and create
one lvm volume for oracle data. With that setup you can later add more
physical volumes to the volume group and resize your oracle volume to
grow it.
The only downside to lvm is that once you add physical volumes to an
existing volume group the space is concatenated rather than striped,
thus adding a single large disk to a volume group created with multiple
small disks may lead to performance issues for data located on the large
disk.

Fsck should not really be an issue since ext3 is a journaling
filesystem.
By default I believe it is configured to fsck twice a year or after 30
mounts whichever comes earlier (obviously it only does so when the
volume is being mounted).