Networker

[Networker] Unix to Linux Migration

2006-05-10 12:39:15
Subject: [Networker] Unix to Linux Migration
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:24:51 -0600
Greetings,

We're setting up some Intel servers running Linux (Redhat) and I have a
question about logical volumes or partitioning schemes.
The plan is to run Oracle databases on this platform as we transition away from
our unix environment.
On the unix side we've always had multiple logical volumes where the oracle
databases, applications etc. reside.
That gives me multiple save sets when running backups but it also means I need
to micro-manage my disk more.
It works but is more of a management task then we'd maybe like to have to
attend to.

Now on the linux side our disk (local SCSI at this point til we get something
figured out) can be all be laid out under / and boot.
Then the disk management is not really a concern until it gets full.
The server will be using a hardware RAID controller here also (likley RAID10)
and the amount of storage I am talking about here is 350GB or so per server.

So, I'm just wondering if anybody has any feedback on what they have done as
far as linux server partitoning, LVM etc.
One thing I'm thinking about is if I have to run an 'fsck' on a filesystem one
large one will take much longer to complete.
I do like the idea of using LVM as it means I don't have to know how large to
make my partitions ahead of time but there may be a performance penalty
attached.

Any feedback appreciated.

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Dep.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only
for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use
of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy this message and any copies.