Networker

Re: [Networker] Issues with clients - RPC error: Unable to send

2006-05-09 09:52:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Issues with clients - RPC error: Unable to send
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:48:38 -0400
Peter and Fazil and others who have responded.

You all jogged my memory to the fact that we had fixed this same problem 5
years ago.
One of the attributes of the "Group" is called "Inactivity timeout" and is
defaulted to 30 minutes.
I looked at our old server and we had it set to "0" which disables
inactivity checking.
I don't remember the exact explanation - but I think it may have something
to do with
very large filesystems taking a long time to generate the list of files to
be backed up
causing this timeout.  Tried it last night and the errors went away.

Thank you all who took the time to respond and give me some ideas where to
look.

Jim

Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
05/09/2006 02:40:26 AM:

> Because some of your savesets succeed and just this one doesn't I would
> say that rules out all the possibilities of incorrect dns, servers
> files, hosts files and authorization issues...   This sounds to me like
> a timeout of the control connection - a tcp session opened from the
> client to the nsrd server that sits idle for most of the saveset, and
> therefore can get timed out by a firewall (eg you need a big enough
> saveset to see the problem, often the timeout is 1 hour) - typically the
> answer is to set tcp_keepalive_interval on the client to something less
> than the timeout setting on the firewall in between (ok ok that's for
> unix.... On windows there's some arcane environment variable you need to
> set in the startup environment for the nsr listener service that causes
> a keepalive packet to be sent regularly...

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation.
Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result
of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited.