Networker

[Networker] Loadbalancing between Storage Nodes.

2006-05-08 11:14:59
Subject: [Networker] Loadbalancing between Storage Nodes.
From: Gatti <xy.0815 AT GMX DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 11:10:21 -0400
Hi all,

Because of I/O- and CPU-limitations on the existing NetWorker server, we
have plans to add a new Storage Node to the configuration.

We hvae a shortage of SAN switch ports also, so we will change the SAN
configuration too, all LTO-2 FibreChannel drives will be removed from the
NSR server (and the HBAs as well) and connected to the new Storage Node.
SCSI-attached LTO-1 drives remain on NSR server.

So one question comes into my mind:
Is it not only possible BUT WILL IT WORK to configure Pools, which contain
LTO-2 drives on the Storage Node AND LTO-1 drives on the Server, i.e. will
NetWorker pick a drive either on the Storage Node or the Server?
I.e uses LTO-1 if all LTO-2s are busy?

Storage Node Priority on the clients will be:
  StorageNode
  nsrserverhost

Or will NetWorker only pick drives on the Server if the StorageNode is
unreachable? ( <-- That's what I'm worrying about.)

Shedding a little light on this will be much appreciated.

Steffen Gattert
--
Visioplant Hamburg, Germany, xy.0815(at)gmx.net