Networker

Re: [Networker] two clients with same name

2006-04-27 11:38:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] two clients with same name
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:36:04 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] two clients with same name, Jim Thorsley said (at...:

I have two clients with the same hostname on different subnets. They are
'mirror.admin.csd.uwo.ca' and 'mirror.syslab.csd.uwo.ca'. mirror.admin
has been around for a long time and works fine. When I added mirror.syslab
I get this error on the next backup session:

mirror.admin.csd.uwo.ca:L:\ save: SYSTEM error: client `mirror' is not
properly configured on the Sun StorEdge(TM) Enterprise Backup Server

Neither entry in nwadmin has 'mirror' as an alias. They are both named
with their full name. mirror.admin is a Windows XP box while mirror.syslab
is running Fedora Core 4.

Is this telling me I can't have two clients with the same hostname even
when they're on different subnets?

Yes, and this is something Legato broke in the 7.x series.  They, however,
view the new behavior as an enhancement.  This was discussed a while back,
search the archives for more detail.

To get around it, use the "save -c full.client.name" in the "Backup
command" field for each of the clients that have short names that conflict
with other short names.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the