Networker

[Networker] maximum speed to tape using bigasm and /dev/zero

2006-04-27 07:34:58
Subject: [Networker] maximum speed to tape using bigasm and /dev/zero
From: "Jespers, Bart" <Bart.Jespers AT FUJITSU-SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:29:09 +0200
Hello

if we use Bigasm to test the speed of the link and devices, does this generate
random data (non-compressable) or data which still can be compressed?
if we use (without networker) the unix "dd" command to send data from /dev/zero
to tape, this data should be highly compressable?

however using both described methods above, I do not succeed in writing more
that 55-65MB/s to a IBM LTO2 taped drive comming from a solaris 9 (4CPU, 8GB
ram) host. the SAN is fully 2 Gbs.
I measured this using the nsrio utility (written by D Stes) which I found on
the web.

I thought that the max speed of a LT02 was at least 70MB/s and even maybe up to
140MB/s?

what kind of max speeds have you attained with LT0 1, 2 or 3?

Thanks

Bart
>       __________________________________________________
>       Jespers Bart
>       IT Consultant LCNA
>       FSC Professional Services
>
>       Fujitsu Siemens Computers
                Square Marie Curie 12 (NEW ADDRESS!)
                1070 Brussels (NEW ADDRESS!)
>       Belgium
>
>       Tel            +32 (0)2 536 64 38 (NEW Number!)
>       Fax           +32 (0)2 536 64 32 (NEW Number!)
>       Mobile       +32 (0) 475 955308 (SAME Number!)
>       E-mail        mailto:bart.jespers AT fujitsu-siemens DOT com
>       Internet:        <http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com>
>
>       This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
> you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee,
> you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or
> any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please
> advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.
               Thank you for your cooperation.