Networker

Re: [Networker] Disk backup data compression

2006-04-26 11:23:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disk backup data compression
From: "Esson, Paul" <Paul.Esson AT REDSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:17:23 +0100
Vince,

We have had some real issues in the past with compressed drives on Windows as
the backup application has to decompress the files to read them which uses
temporary space as well as CPU and memory resources.  We have tended to use the
hardware compression of the tape drive itself.

Regards,

Paul Esson
Senior Consultant
Redstor Limited

Direct:         +44 (0) 1224 595381
Mobile:         +44 (0) 7766 906514
E-Mail:         paul.esson AT redstor DOT com
Web:           www.redstor.com
REDSTOR LIMITED
Torridon House
73-75 Regent Quay