Networker

Re: [Networker] Unable to backup indices on a filesystem

2006-04-21 06:02:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Unable to backup indices on a filesystem
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:00:31 +0100
Lunsford, Damien1 wrote:

I've got the situation where I am unable to backup index's which I copied out
of the /nsr directory to another directory called /nsrbak.

When I run legato, it performs a full backup but skips the contents of the
indexs.

Is there a way to force legato to backup the indexs?

Indices are intentionally skipped as part of a filesystem backup because they are regarded as a database and they need to be backed up in a consistent state whilst they are not being updated. They are of course backed up by NetWorker using indexasm under normal circumstances after the backup for that client has completed, and can also backed up by using savegrp -O.

The method for forcing NetWorker to skip the index directories is the .nsr file which is created automatically as part of the index creation process. If you have a need to backup a copy of an index you can override the local .nsr directive file by supplying the -i parameter to the save command for just that backup. It is not a good idea to use the -i flag universally.

"signoff networker" in the