Networker

Re: [Networker] Extending Browse and retention policies

2006-04-19 23:01:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Extending Browse and retention policies
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:56:31 +1000
Extending Browse time would need more disk space under /nsr/index    -
this all depends on how many files get backed up too - but if your
system has been running for 1 year, and your browse time is 1 year then
/nsr/index should be roughly as big as it will get - you can multiply
the space by 5 to get an estimate for 5 years (an overestimate perhaps,
but you need to allow for increasing demand anyway).

Most people chose a browse time of about 1 year, even if the retention
period is 7 or 10 years....  All it means is that you may need to do an
index recover every now and then if there is a need to browse back past
a year on a particular server   (that's what the nsrck -L7 command is
all about).

Extending the retention period means that the media database under
/nsr/mm   will get larger - but it is not much to worry about
usually.... Eg on a site I run we have (on average) 9 months browse
time, and many more years retention...  The indexes add up to about
400GB, the media DB is only about 500MB.