Networker

Re: [Networker] SAIT-1 SCSI Drive Appears to Hang After Tape is Full (500+ GB) & Unmounted

2006-04-18 04:26:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAIT-1 SCSI Drive Appears to Hang After Tape is Full (500+ GB) & Unmounted
From: Christian Drexler <cdrexler AT TEE.TOSHIBA DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:23:05 +0200
Chris,
I have seen similar errors on RedHat ES 3 driving an STK L20 and a
Quantum dx30 VTL, disabling CDI has fixed them for me.

Regards

~christian

Chris Read wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new poster to this list, but have used NetWorker for over 10 years
> on Sun boxes.
>
> I just moved our software from a Sun Solaris box to a Fedora Core 4 x86 box.
>    Dell Pentium D Server
>    ATTO ExpressPCI UL4D SCSI Card
>    Sony SAIT-1 Stand Alone SCSI drive
>    Networker 7.3
>
> The install seems to be basically working.  I can label and mount a tape and
> start a backup.  It runs fine until the tape is full.
>
> The problem is that after unmounting the first tape, I want to label and
> mount a second tape.  When I bring up the label window (and confirm that the
> Device, Volume Label, Pools, etc. are all correct) and press OK, an error
> window pops up that says "write open error: drive status is" and then a
> blank line.
>
> Sometimes it's "read open error" instead, but that's all I can get out of
> it.  I was only able to do anything with the drive by rebooting the PC, but
> again, after it was done with the one tape, it hung with the same problem.
>
> Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> - Chris

> type "signoff networker" in the
> body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
> edu if you have any problems
> wit this list. You can access the archives at

Christian Drexler               mail: cdrexler AT tee.toshiba DOT de
Systems Administrator           phone: +49 211 5296 322
Toshiba Electronics Europe      fax: +49 211 5296 79322
Duesseldorf, Germany            http://www.toshiba-europe.com

CONFIDENTIALITY DISCLAIMER

The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential
and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy this message, delete any copies held on your systems and
notify the sender immediately.

You should not retain, copy or use this email for any purpose outside
of any NDA currently existing between Toshiba Electronics Europe
GmbH and yourselves.