Networker

Re: [Networker] SAVE vs SAVEPNPC or SAVEGRP BACKUPS

2006-04-10 17:02:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAVE vs SAVEPNPC or SAVEGRP BACKUPS
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:59:34 -0700
> Hello,
> I am contamplating running all my backups via Control M schedular.
> Questions:
> 1. Which of the above program is more suitable.

For control-M to use?  I'd probably prefer to have Control-M kick off
backups either via running savegrp or by starting the group via a
'nsradmin' update.  (The latter might be harder to track though).

> 2. Will savegrp be able to apply my Directives.

Yes, that's how Networker normally runs backups.

> 3. How will i apply addtional parameters such as VSS OFF if i use
     savegrp.

I'm not sure what you mean.  How would you normally do that?

> 4. I have to be able to backup incremental during the week and FULL
     over the weekend, am i better off using Built in schdedule or
     useing levels.

The networker scheduler does use levels, so I'm not sure what you're
asking about.  By applying a schedule to a client, it should be applied
for any normal savegrp invocation, either externally or from the
scheduler.

> 5. How will be reporting via Networker GUI be effected & also the
     logs.

Any savegrp will send its output to the logs.  If you run savefs
directly, you have to handle the output yourself.

> 6. Will troubleshooting problems become harder in this enviroment.

Savepnpc tends to be a bit fiddly.  The main problem with external
schedulers is making sure that everyone knows they're there and uses
them.  When you don't expect them to pop up, thats when confusion
abounds.

> 7. Does any one have scripts already written that you can share.
> 8. How would i apply all the options ava to group resource via cmd line
> backups.

What kind of options are you asking about?  You can invoke savegrp (or
request an immediate backup start) via the command line, but it would
still use any normally-applied options.