Networker

[Networker] NDMP Restore Fails at premature EOF marker

2006-04-07 11:06:13
Subject: [Networker] NDMP Restore Fails at premature EOF marker
From: Charlie Patterson <cbbarkinlists AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:53:10 -0400
Hello,

We're struggling with restore problem involving the following environment:

2 NetApps with OnTap 7.01 (both the Data Server and Tape Server)
EMC/Legato NetWorker 7.1.3 b404 on a Solaris 9 NetWorker server
Qualstar TLS-8466 with 4 LTO-3 Tape drives
Backups were performed using NDMP 3 without DAR enabled
Restored data is 111GB of a 600GB saveset.

We have been trying to restore a directory from full backups taken ever week
over the last six months without success.  The restores always fail on the
last volume of the saveset when an EOF mark is encountered before the end of
the data.

NetWorker reported the backups were successful in the logs, and the entire
directory structure is recreated when the restore begins - place 0-byte
files in all the correct locations.  NetWorker's media database indicates
the savesets were not incomplete or aborted.

Using NetWorker's 'scanner' command shows the savesets are incomplete on
tape.

We have tried  browseable and saveset recoveries, and using 'restore'
directly from the NetApp's console.  We didn't allow 'restore' to finish
because it was reading the tapes at 1-2MB/s and would have taken up to 5
days to complete.

Has anyone else seen their restore fail with premature EOF marks on the
tape?  Does anyone know a way to find/overcome a false EOF marker?

Any help would be welcome since we've had EMC\Legato and NetApp TS working
on this for 6 weeks without a breakthrough.

Thanks,  Charlie

cbbarkin AT gmail DOT com