Networker

Re: [Networker] Ideal Linux Configuration

2006-04-04 14:10:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Ideal Linux Configuration
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:05:08 -0600
Here are some specification of my Legato Networker server v7.2.1

Operating System:
Red Hat ES 3 v2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp

Dell PowerEdge 2850
3.0GHz/1MB Cache, Xeon, 800MHzFront Side Bus for PowerEdge 2850
4GB DDR2 400MHz (2X2GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs
3x36GB,U320,SCSI,1IN 15K,PE2850
Adaptec 39160 SCSI HBA (replaced it with an LSI Logic 22320-RB)

Tape Library:
ADIC Scalar 100 with 2xLTO-2 tape drives.

D2D backup:
using 1 TB space from IP SAN

Backup clients:
13 Unix-AIX servers (mixed of pSeries, 270, 6H*)
10 Netware servers
40+ Win/NT servers

No performance grief/issue so far.

hope this helps,

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Dep.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca

>>> Clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV 04/Apr/2006 10:57 am >>>

If there is such a beast, I'm looking to configure a new box using RHEL
on a Dell rack server.  Currently, we are using a Sun V440 with a
Quantum M2500 with 3-LTO2 drives and SCSI connections, and Networker
v7.2.1.  The Sun box is used for multiple purposes and the desire is to
have a single purpose box for the backups.

Assumptions:
1) The tape library will be moved to the new server.
2) RHELv3 will be used until a more stable networker v7.3.x is
available, then upgrade to RHELv4.
3) Currently, RHEL and Solaris are the clients.
4) Windows clients will be added in the future.

We have several Dell based single-purpose Linux servers in our inventory
and are quite happy with them.  I've read several posts here that
indicate most folks are fairly happy with a Linux/Networker arrangement.
I'm leaning towards a Dell 2850, or maybe 1850, but am uncertain on how
much RAM nor what type of SCSI controller to use.  I could use some
discussion, since this will be around for a while.

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - DOE/OSTI

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only
for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use
of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy this message and any copies.