Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie

2006-03-24 11:45:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie
From: "Greggs, Dana" <c-dgreggs AT STATE.PA DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:41:17 -0500
When a tape is loaded into the drive, execute the following command ("mt
-f" followed by your tape drive path) to see if hardware compression is
enabled:

mt -f \\.\tape0 stat

You should get output similar to what is shown below:

\\.\tape0:
        Media Capacity  = 18.63GByte
        Media Remaining = 10.56GByte
        Media Blocksize = 0
        Media Partition Count = 1
        Media is not write protected
        default blocksize = 65536
        maximum blocksize = 1048576
        minimum blocksize = 1
        MaximumPartitionCount = 1
        Partition = 0
        Logical block position = 1162124
        EOTWarningZoneSize = 0
        CompressionEnabled
<=================================Compression is enable for me=====
        Features:
                Performs SHORT erase operation
                Performs LONG erase operation
                Performs IMMEDIATE erase operation
                Can report maximum tape capacity
                Can report amount of tape remaining
                Support FIXED block length mode
                Support VARIABLE block length mode
                Returns errors on write if tape is write - protected
                Performs Hardware Error Correction
                Supports hardware data compression
                Can provide current absolute device block address
                Can provide current logical block address and partition
                Can physically load and / or unload tape
                Support PREVENT / ALLOW Media Removal
                Performs IMMEDIATE rewind operations
                Allows Setting FIXED LENGTH or VARIABLE block sizes
                Performs IMMEDIATE Load / Unload operations
                Allows hardware data compression to be enabled /
disabled
                Can position tape to an absolute physical block
                Performs IMMEDIATE absolute block positioning
                Can position tape to a logical block(and partition)
                Performs IMMEDIATE logical block positioning
                Can position tape to END of RECORDED DATA
                Can perform tape record positioning(backwards /
forwards)
                Can perform tape file positioning(backwards / forwards)
                Can move backwards across records or filemarks or
setmarks
                Can write FILEMARKS
                Performs IMMEDIATE tape mark write operations

I actually can get over 600GB on our LTO-2 tapes when backing up
Databases as they compress easily. Shown below is the output from mminfo
querying last nights backup jobs from one of our servers.

 volume        written
ARN391L1        620 GB
ARN392L1        277 GB
PS2375L2        365 GB