Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie

2006-03-24 10:51:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie
From: rrevuru AT GMAIL DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:47:53 -0500
> Can you tell me the what kind of compression ratio should i use to make
use
> of the maximum space on the tape. I am currently using LTO-Ultrium-2.

The compression ratio isn't something you can control - you get the best
that your hardware can give.

> When coming to compressing data . according to research i did so far,
> compression is achieved from the client side (Networker User).

No this is just one way. You have a choice of compressing the data at
the client side, or letting the compression hardware in your tape drives
do the work.

Davina: Thanks for your response, can you shed some more light onto
compression from your hardware in your tape drives. I was wondering if there
is any setting on the tape drives i should take care of.

Peter gave me a good insight, i was wondering if there is anything i should
be taking care of

I am more concerned about the following error message

 ********************************
I am using Networker 7.2 Windows Version. Here is what i have

As i said i have 8-tape Auto-Loader. Of that i have 6 slots filled with 6
tapes.
2 of those tapes are 200 GB/ and 4 of them are 100GB uncompressed.

Right now this what is shows in the volumes tab
          Written     Used     expiration date

tape1 : 78GB     full       03/31/2006
tape2:  49GB     full       03/24/2006
tape3:  34GB     full      10/26/2006