Networker

Re: [Networker] Any notification callback mechanism in Networker 7.3?

2006-03-23 14:44:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Any notification callback mechanism in Networker 7.3?
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:40:37 +0000
William Z wrote:
I'm writing a program that needs to be triggered when a backup starts in Networker. I cannot run the program at the same machine where Networker server is located. That means that I cannot locally monitor the notification log file. I don't want to setup the SNMP notification because it's not very reliable. I'm wondering if there is any console mode notification so that I can run a client nsradmin session and monitor the output message to get realtime notification when a backup kicks off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

NetWorker provides exactly this facility. You can create a new custom notification with a user-defined name, that will run when you start a group. Set the Event to "Savegroup", and I think the Priority will need to be set to "Notice" for the start of a group. In the action field you can put any executable (with full path), or perhaps ssh to a different machine to run your script.

"signoff networker" in the