Networker

Re: [Networker] Browse Time vs. Retention time for Exchange backups?

2006-03-22 03:34:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Browse Time vs. Retention time for Exchange backups?
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:29:58 +0100
For Networker Modules in general, you should set
browse policy = retention policy. Like MS Exchange,
recover cannot be done without Client file index extries.
You cannot recover an exchange server using SSID, for eg.

But no problem : If Browse < Retention and browse policy
expired, you have to rebuild index using scanner.

BTW, sharing experience with the others, index rebuild procedure
changed between nsr 6 and 7 :
1) To rebuild an index of a Saveset or module, first the
ssid has to be recoverable (retention not expired yet).
If it is expired, use "nsrmm -S ssid -o norecyclable"
to put it back recoverable again.
2) Then, extend browse (and retention) in the future.
3) Then finally, launch scanner -I

If you do not extend browse and retention in the future,
scanner will finish correctly but indexes will be purged
as soon as scanner finished. So, you believe scanner is NOT
working. Compare both nsr6 and nsr7 admin guides.

HTH,

TH

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/