Networker

Re: [Networker] Question about NetWorker 7.2.1 Windows encryption feature

2006-03-06 21:58:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question about NetWorker 7.2.1 Windows encryption feature
From: Siobhan Ellis <Siobhan.Ellis AT ENSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:53:04 +1100
Stan,

I wouldn't even bother with pre 7.3 for encryption. It's pathetic. 7.3 brings
in 256 bit encryption.

Siobhán Ellis
Principal Technology Consultant
ENSTOR Pty Ltd
Level 10, 118 Alfred St
Milsons Point
NSW 2061
Australia

Mobile: +61 424 750 544
Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au
web: http://www.enstor.com.au

>>> stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU 7/03/2006 8:19 am >>>

I am testing the NetWorker Windows encryption feature on a laptop
client with Windows XP Pro and NetWorker 7.2.1 as the client. Our
NetWorker server is running Solaris 9 and NetWorker 7.2.1. The
documentation on this feature is very sketchy on how this encryption
feature works and what it is supposed to do.

We want to password and encrypt backups for a few selected Windows
servers going over our network. I got to the point where the password
feature appears to work because when I try to do a directed recover
of my laptop's data to my desktop system, it fails and an error
appears that says the data is password protected. That's good, but
when I asked our network administrator to sniff packets while a
backup is in progress, he told me he can see the unencrypted data
going out from the static IP address that has been assigned to my
laptop. I am using a local directive with the pw2 option in it on my
laptop, as per the administrator's guide and I set up an encrypted
password in the netwkr.cfg file.

So what am I doing wrong, or is this encryption only encrypting data
to tape on our NetWorker server, not on the client before it flows
over our network?

Thanks,

Stan