Networker

[Networker] How I moved from 7.2.1 to 7.3 on Linux

2006-03-06 18:13:13
Subject: [Networker] How I moved from 7.2.1 to 7.3 on Linux
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:08:01 -0500
Greets.

This past weekend I, apparently with success, completed a server migration from Networker 7.2.1 to 7.3. There was a ton of documentation and tips on the Networker site but none of it seemed quite right for our environment. More over, what did seem right seemed overly complicated. That said, here's the process I took.

Our environment is 100% x86 Linux with a mix of RHEL4 and RHEL3. The existing Networker 7.2.1 server was RHEL3 and the new server would be RHEL4 with Networker 7.3. Our existing IBM 4560SLX jukebox would be moved to the new server as well. Just to add a little more spice to the mix, the domain name of the new server would be changing also.

Prior to starting the move I installed Networker 7.3 on the new RHEL4 server. I obtained auth codes from my Legato rep and made sure I could backup the server to a temporary adv_file device. Because I was updating from 7.2.1 to 7.3 I would also need an enabler code for the method I choose.

1) Shut down Networker server on both the RHEL4 and RHEL3 system then scp the /nsr directory from the old RHEL3 server to the new RHEL4 server.

2) While waiting for the 20G /nsr directory to finish the copy, update all clients from 7.2.1 to 7.3. When doing the update I removed the /var/nsr client directory after uninstalling the old 7.2.1 RPMS and before installing the Networker 7.3 lgtoclnt and lgtoman RPMs.

3) Muse about how good life will be when this is all done while waiting for the /nsr server directory to finish copying. Hook up the tape library to the new RHEL4 server.

4) Replace the /nsr directory from Networker 7.3 on RHEL4 with the /nsr directory copied over from the RHEL3 Networker 7.2.1 box.

5) Start Networker while monitoring the /nsr/log/daemon.log file. There are several things that need fixing at this point.

6) Correct the nsr_license issues by entering the right authcodes and enablers. Restart Networker to check it monitoring the daemon.log file

7) Fix the jukebox resource. I had to do this because the jukebox was on a different scsi bus on the new server. After reconfiguring the jukebox Networker will need the contents inventoried.

8) Rename the old server client. At this point I have newserver.domain.tld and oldserver.domain.tld in my index file. To fix this I followed the client rename procedure of copying the client id, deleting the client, then creating a new client named newserver.domain.tld using the client id of oldserver.domain.tld. After creating the client, shutdown Networker and replace the newserver.domain.tld index directory with the oldserver.domain.tld index directory then start Networker back. I was able to browse the entire index for newserver.domain.tld and recover files at this point.

9) Test the other clients to make sure they can connect to the server, browse the indexes, and backup/recover files. After step 8 above was done proper I had no issues with any of the clients.

Clearly this isn't the recommended procedure in any Networker documentation I found. However on my Linux box it seemed to work well. Hope it helps someone else.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
IBM Linux Technology Center System Admin

"signoff networker" in the