Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance issues with large file systems

2006-03-01 06:56:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance issues with large file systems
From: Gaddy <xy.0815 AT GMX DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 06:53:01 -0500
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:51:08 +0100, Maarten Boot wrote:

>If I get it right you backup the 4 groups at the same time and they are
on the same (super sized) disk.

Yep.
But we do NOT have ANY influence how the "application owner"
uses the disk - and they don't care about backup speeds :-(
It's very conventient for the Notes guys to go with on large filesystem.

>is that a raid5 by any chance?

Yes, this a "metaLUN" created from two RAID-5 luns,
which are 4+1 each on Clariion. So the filesystem spans 10 disks 2x(4+1)
and the CX700 should be powerfull enough to handle sequential I/Os
with some kind of "read ahead".
Not worth to mention that the spindles uses different I/O pathes
inside the box.

>if so your paralell datastreams may interfere on the disk level.

Yes, good point.
But our 1st problem was very poor performance WITHOUT the parallelism of
the four groups --> i.e. one group, some clients, saveset=All
(no conflicting I/O at all), so I don't feel that's the point right now.

I still thinking in
- IP issues
- file system issues

Thanks again anybody who replied ... -sg-