Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems with Netware 6.5 since updating to SP5

2006-02-28 11:46:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems with Netware 6.5 since updating to SP5
From: Tony Skalski <ajs AT STOLAF DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:43:35 -0600
The 7.2 client has been a mixed blessing. While it is (finally) running well here, it has taken a few months. After having to wait for this update for a few years, and have the upgrade not work well, we are actually close to getting rid of Networker.

ajs

Librado Pamintuan wrote:
Good luck with your upgrade. We decided to back rev. to v4.22 because since we
upgraded to v7.2 our main data server and border servers became unstable,
almost abends every night when the backup starts or just browsing files for
restores.
Also one thing the Legato Tech. support cannot resolve is this big question:

one of our main folder 'Users' is successfully backed up as <DIR> in v4.22, but when
we upgraded to v7.2 and on the restore window it only shows up as <RES> hence you
cannot expand it and restores files. This is a seriously important folder as this is where
the users save their network profiles and email archives.

According to Legato Tech. support, we have to get Novell involved on this, but
Novell itself I think is already de-supporting NetWare O/S unless you have a
plan to migrate to Novell OES.

ajs AT STOLAF DOT EDU 28/Feb/2006 9:31 am >>>

Ryan,

Still having trouble with SP5? (I am mulling over plans to apply SP5 here)

In related news, did you see Novell has a new libc for the RPC errors:

   http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10100368.htm

ajs

Ryan Tassotti wrote:
Hi fellow NetWare admins,

Consider this a FYI.  We have had some problems with our test 7.2
client, since upgrading to SP5.

Pre-upgrade config .....
NetWare 6.5 SP4a
NetWorker client 7.2 w/ combo patch
tcp659j

We upgraded to SP5, and re-applied the tcp659j patch.

Now, whenever a backup of this client starts, we get an abend in
SAVEFS.NLM.  This happens 100% of the time on this client.

Legato support have informed us that others have had problems since
upgrading to SP5.

FWIW the case I logged is CaseID 539921.

Cheers,
Ryan.

   This message has passed through an insecure network.
    Please direct all enquiries to the message author.

"signoff networker" in the

Tony Skalski
Systems Administrator
507-646-3227
ajs AT stolaf DOT edu
St. Olaf College                   1510 St. Olaf Avenue
Information and                          Northfield, MN
Instructional Technologies                   55057-1097

"signoff networker" in the

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only
for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use
of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy this message and any copies.