Networker

[Networker] ADIC SCALAR 24 on a Windows 2003 Storage Node

2006-02-23 10:18:52
Subject: [Networker] ADIC SCALAR 24 on a Windows 2003 Storage Node
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:17:39 -0500
Had some difficulty last night installing a new Scalar 24 on a remote
storage node. The scalar 24 has a single IBM LTO-2 drive attached via
scsi to an Adaptec 29160 HBA in a HP DL380 running Window 2003. I loaded
the Adaptec driver and IBM LTO driver and I can see the library and
drive via the SCSI bios, in Windows 2003 and with inquire. Windows 2003
sees the library as "Unknown Medium Changer" and the drive as "IBM
Ultrium-TD2 SCSI Sequential Device".

The problem is when I run jb_config. If I choose "Autodetect SCSI
Jukebox" it doesn't find anything. If I choose "SJI jukebox", I can
choose a "generic scsi jukebox" and the system configures and is usable,
but I'm not 100% comfortable with that. I've never had to go this route
before, and I'm concerned some features, etc... might not be available.

I have tried this with Windows Removable Storage Service disabled and
stopped, and with it running with no differences. The library does not
show up in the RSM manager anyway (I assume because it's an "Unkown
Medium Changer")

I assume Legato is not matching the device name returned by the SCSI
call to it's list of builtin changers. Anyone have any experience with
this?

Here is the output of inquire and sjisn (I blanked out serial numbers)

C:\>inquire
[email protected]:ADIC    Scalar 24       309A|Autochanger (Jukebox)
                                           S/N: ADIC_1_xxxxxxxx
[email protected]:IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     4C60|Tape, \\.\Tape0

C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin>sjisn [email protected]
Serial Number data for [email protected] (ADIC     Scalar 24       ):
        Library:
                Serial Number: ADIC_1_xxxxxxxx
        Drive at element address 256:
                SCSI-3 Device Identifiers:
                        ATNN:IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     xxxxxxxxx

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
Dir of Operations  | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA LLC            | Phone: 914-460-4039
www.otaotr.com     | Fax: 914-460-4139