Networker

Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library

2006-02-16 16:43:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:41:50 -0500
Yes, do keep us posted!   Which slot will you be putting the 10GE in ??

The docs seems to indicate:

PCI Ex slot 0 shares  PCIE Bus A with 2 GigE ports and the internal disks.

PCI Ex slot 1,2 and PCI-X slots 0,1  all share PCIE Bus B with 2GigEs and
                                     the DVD, USB and serial port.

So there are 2 PCI E buses that everything is divided over?  An HBA in
the fist PCIE slot on PCIE switch/busA will drag down the performance
of the SAS/SATA disks?

Yes, let us know how the GigE or 10GE works in conjunction with some
SAN HBAs on in the slots sharing the PCIE switches/buses.  Solaris 10
is required here so you should get good network throughput there.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:43:02 -0500, Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
wrote:

>Here is a link to a nice architecture paper on the T2000 (block diagram on
>p23)
>
>http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/coolthreads_architecture_wp.pdf
>
>I just ordered three of these puppies, two of them with 10-GE.  All of
>them
>will have FC HBA's connected to a fabric switch.
>

>Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM> wrote on 02/15/2006 07:47:33
>PM:
>
>> I have this idea that a T2000 would make a good storage node....
>>

>> What is needed here is a nice architecture tech paper like the X4200...
>

>Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil
litigation.
>Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a
result of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is
prohibited.

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems