Networker

Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library

2006-02-15 17:43:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library
From: "Maiello, Robert" <Robert.Maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:39:13 -0500
Matthew,

Oh, this does show for the 4200 the built-in NICs on a separate chipset
from the PCI-X slots (page 8).  It does show the NICs share that PCI-X
chip/bus with the internal storage controller (disks).   So it
looks like (page 9):

PCI slot 0 100Mhz:  PCI bus shared with Gigabit and Disks  (don't use)

PCI slot 1 133Mhz:  A PCI bus to itself although it uses the same bridge
                          as slots 2,3,4.

PCI slots 2-4 66Mhz:  A separate PCI bus from 0 and 1 although it shares
                            the same bridge as slot1.

Thanks for finding/posting this.  Typical SUN that the tech papers are
not listed with the server documentation.

I suppose for the PCIe X4 slots I would imagine they would need to
replace the AMD8131 PCI-X Tunnel Chip(s) with a faster one(s)?  The chip
shows
4.8 GB/s to the Opterton.  Contrast this to my V880; the specs shows
4.8GB/s to the CPUS from a "workgroup data switch" which has 1.2GB/sec
going to the
each PCI bus.

Very interesting indeed.

Robert Maiello