Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup times in mminfo

2006-02-15 11:33:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup times in mminfo
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:31:49 -0800
> IIRC, ssinsert gets the time stamp from the client and savetime gets the
> time stamp from the server.  I haven't used sscreate before.  I think sscomp
> also uses the time stamp of the server.

Other way around on savetime.  And while most of the time ssinsert and
sscreate are the same, I'd think you'd want sscreate most of the time if
they are not.  (ssinsert must use server time because the client may not
even be running when the set is inserted).

[...]
     savetime    time         9  The save time (on the client).
     sscreate    time         9  The creation time (on the server).
                                 If the client and server clocks are out of
                                 sync, this time may be different from the
                                 save time.
     ssinsert    time         9  The save set's insertion time. This is
                                 the time the save set was most recently
                                 introduced into the database (for example, by
                                 a backup or by running scanner(1m)).
     sscomp      time         9  The save set's completion time. This is
                                 the time the save set backup was completed.

> The difference in the time source really hosed up one of my spreadsheets
> once when the client time was about 15 minutes slower than the server time.
> Although, when I saw NW writing a 20M incremental in -10 minutes, I was
> pretty impressed.

Yes.  Unfortunately 'savetime' seems to be more of a primary key in the
database than 'sscreate'.  I'd much rather be able to pass in the server
timetamps for -t limits and be able to get unix stamps from it directly
rather than parsing out a long date/time stamp format.