Networker

Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library

2006-02-15 09:48:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:43:13 -0500
That is well summed up Vernon, the key concept being 2 LTO3
drives (and even 2 LTO2 drives) can "eat" a gigabit NIC all
on there own.

That said, I'd like to add that looking at PCI buses for the HBAs and/or
NICs I'm always hard pressed to pick a particular SUN server up to the
task.  Perhaps others can reccommend one?  The ideal server being one
where every card is connected to a seperate high speed PCI bus.

Also, it has been seen that Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 is needed to get
the throughput out of mulitple NICS.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems