Networker

[Networker] Power cycling causes networker/inquire to not see library

2006-02-13 10:09:18
Subject: [Networker] Power cycling causes networker/inquire to not see library
From: Teresa.Kroeker AT THOMSON DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:08:08 -0500
Configuration

New StorageTek SL500 library with SCSI attached LTO2 drives and one SDLT
drive
Networker 7.1.3
Sunfire V490
Solaris 10

On Thursday we switched from a StorageTek L180 to a StorageTek SL500
library and everything was working fine.  On Saturday we powered down
all our systems due to UPS work.  When we powered them back up networker
could not see the library.  inquire returned nothing.  We rebooted the
server several times and changed SCSI cables.  Once during our reboots
the library was found but then went away again.  probe-scsi-all showed
the library and drives, the drives could be seen by the OS but inquire
and jbconfig could not see the library.  We had StorageTek come and look
at the library.  It seemed fine.  They told us that another customer had
to upgrade their backup software (not legato) after a similar incident
(only the power outage was unplanned).  So we upgraded from 7.1.3 to
7.1.4.  inquire showed the library (but not all the tape drives).
jbconfig gave us an I/O error:

Enter the drive type of drive 1? 38
Are all the drives the same model? (yes / no) [yes] no
Enter the drive type of drive 2? 38
Enter the drive type of drive 3? 38
Enter the drive type of drive 4? 38
Enter the drive type of drive 5? 38
Enter the drive type of drive 6? 44
jbconfig: error, SJI Failure[0x      29]: I/O error

We reran the jbconfig and it was successful.  Inquire now shows all the
tape drives.  We are currently running our monthly full backup.

Anyone have similar problems?

I do not feel that we have solved the issue.  What is at fault (i.e.
what needs to be fixed)?

1) networker
2) library
3) server hardware
4) server OS
5) SCSI cables (we did change them all)
6) flaky drive (one is old - 5 are new)
7) something else not listed above

We did not have this problem with the old L180 library which we
(unfortunately) had to power down several times last year.

We are planning on powering down the library when we get a chance to see
if we run into the same problem (once we got it working we wanted to
start our backup).  If we are unable to see the library again we are
tempted to uninstall networker and reinstall it to see if that
temporarily fixes the problem.  We also want to apply the update to
Solaris 10 and make sure we up to date on patches on the backup server.

Teresa Kroeker
Carswell