Networker

[Networker] Networker on Solaris 10 containers update

2006-01-31 12:15:43
Subject: [Networker] Networker on Solaris 10 containers update
From: Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:12:01 -0600
I thought I'd give people an update on what I've been doing with
Networker on Solaris 10 containers where /usr is shared between the
global zone and the containers.

Initially, I posted that I installed the client SW V7.2.1 in the global
zone and copied the appropriate bits up to the containers. This works
fine if all you're installing is the client. But I found a better way
that also allows you to install the modules dependent on the client SW.
In our case, the Networker Module for Oracle V4.2.

With the client SW bits still copied to the containers, I tried to
install the NMO in the global zone. To my surprise, it not only wanted
to install it in the global zone but said it couldn't install into the
two containers we have defined because it had no record of the client SW
being installed there.

Well that got me thinking. I then un-installed NMO from the global zone
as it did install for it only. I deleted the client bits off each
container and instead tried to install the client on the container. At
this point, the client SW is still installed in the global zone.

The install script detected the client bits installed in the common /usr
and asked it I wanted to replace them. I said no. It then asked if I
wanted to continue with the install. I said yes and it worked. The
client SW was now installed on the container. Testing proved it worked
too.

After installing the client SW on the other container, I once again
tried to install NMO in the global zone. This time it worked and not
only installed in the global zone but on both containers at the same
time from the same install script running in the global zone!

There was only one small change I could see from a regular install. As a
last step to using Networker to backup an Oracle DB, you need to create
a symbolic link from the Oracle library called libobk.so to the
Networker library called libnwora.so. On our other Oracle servers
running Solaris 9, this Networker library was in /usr/lib/ as well as
/lib. On Solaris 10 with containers, it's now only in /lib. So I copied
the library to /usr/lib and created a link to /usr/lib/libnwora.so and
it works! This was the 32-bit version of NMO.

To top it off, I also installed the 64-bit version of the libnwora.so
library following the NMO installation manual. So we have some of the
old 32-bit Oracle DB's running as well as the new 64-bit Oracle DB's.

Yeah! I have some very happy DBA's right now who are happily migrating
DB's from our old boxes to the new containers where they have much more
elbow room.

The key here is remembering that there is a common /usr. A module needs
to be installed in the global zone if it wants to write anything to
/usr. It will also be installed on all the containers it finds installed
with the client SW automatically, whether you need it there or not.

Not sure what will happen if we define yet a third container as we won't
need NMO there. But then we don't need it in the global zone either as
Oracle isn't running there.

Upgrades? Not going there.

Paula

| Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ/VE4HZ                    Room E3-628 EITC     |
| Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca |
| Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
| University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-7920  |