Networker

Re: [Networker] How to save multiple paths?

2006-01-20 12:30:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to save multiple paths?
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:28:41 +0000
So if I understand correctly, you want to specify multiple directories to be wrapped up in a single save set, and you want to have the name of all the directories in the name of the save set.

If you do this without explicitly specifying a name for the save set, NetWorker will work out something to call it, and I'd say that pulling the path back to the common part is a fairly logical way to do this.

However, if want to specify a save set name for your multiple directories, why not just do this? You can use the -N param on save to call it what you want. So you can list your four directories as the save set name, or call it something different instead, such as "Georges very special backup 2006/01/20".

If what you really want is multiple save sets, one per directory, then you must run multiple save commands. One save set = one save command.

George Sinclair wrote:
How can I run the save command and tell it to save multiple paths and have NetWorker list the full paths separately in the save set recover window or mminfo command?

Instead, NetWorker seems to insist on recording only the part of the path that is common to all the paths. I tried this command on the client:

save -s server -b pool -l level /home/dir/file1.txt /home/dir/file2.txt

When I check save set recover, I only see /home/dir/ listed, not each path. I tried listing them in an input file and then re-ran it with '-I' option, but that does the same thing. Seems that as soon as 2 or more paths are listed, NetWorker insists on wrapping it all together under the parent directory (in this case /home/dir/) or whatever is common to all of them. I tried this, too:

save -s server -B -n -b pool -l level -I /tmp/input_file

It indicates that, again, the pathname will be /home/dir/

It works if I use the GUI. Why not on the command line? Am I going to have to write a script that forks multiple instances of itself to save each path? Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. I wanna be able to login to the client, cd to the directory, and run a script that will determine which files have not been backed up and then it will back them up, say 4 at a time (client parallelism) so that each path is listed separately when I look at mminfo or saveset recover. Otherwise, it's hard to keep track of what was backed up when if just wraps all the files up into one saveset name. These are special gzipped database dump files that are created a few times a month, and I need to be able to identify them separately by name. I would prefer not to have NetWorker back up each one, one at a time, since that takes longer, and it's more shoe shining on the drives, but other than launching multiple saves, that seems to be the only way?

Any help would be appreciated.

George

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

"signoff networker" in the