Networker

Re: [Networker] 10gR2 RAC DB w/ NMO 4.1

2006-01-18 21:05:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] 10gR2 RAC DB w/ NMO 4.1
From: Marcelo Bartsch <mbartsch AT UNIX911.ATH DOT CX>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:56:51 -0300
David,
        We backup oracle rac 9i, but not using netwoker, we use dataprotector
from hp , but basicly is the history is similar as this is most an
oracle "problem" than <put yout backup platform here> one.

I had one job/group configured to backup the database, you don't really
need to backup the database on both nodes, unless they are in diferent
phisical locations and diferent networker servers, as you get the "same"
data from both nodes (Shared storage). it won't hurt to backup both
nodes anyway :)

Archivelogs, is other history, what we do, for mental sanity :) is to
mount over NFS the archivelog directoy from one node the one running the
backup, for example:

node1
        archivelogs in /oracle/instance1/arch
node2
        archivelogs in /oracle/instance2/arch

with automount we configure:

node1 exports to node2 /oracle/instance1/arch and node2 mount
node1:/oracle/instance1/arch, then rman execute:

on node2 exports to node1 /oracle/instance2/arch and node1 mounts
node2:/oracle/instance2/arch

then you can had another job from networker that runs:

backup archivelog all;

then in another job (from cron for example) we run on rman :

delete archivelog backup 2 times to device type sbt_tape;
(I'm not 100% sure is this is the right command as i'm writting from
memory, but the idea is to delete archive logs wich has been backuped 2
times, 1 per node, for example)

is not the most elegant soluction but works, as you had datafiles and
archivelogs from both instances on one client index.

that's what we do, now, if you had ocfs or ASM for the archivelogs, you
don't had to do the NFS parts as in both cases , both nodes can had
access to archivelogs with out the need to mount some "other" file
system.

This week we are testing backup's with oracle 10gr2 rac on windows, if
you wish i can share the results.

i hope this helps you a little i know is not a solution to your problem,
is more a work around :)

P.D.: sorry if my english is a bit complicated sometime but is not my
native language.