Networker

[Networker] Server Needed to drive multiple LTO3 drives

2006-01-17 16:20:51
Subject: [Networker] Server Needed to drive multiple LTO3 drives
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:16:18 -0500
Dear List,

We are in the process of upgrading our existing NetWorker setup here.
We'll
be replacing our ADIC Scalar 1000 (8 x AIT3 drives) with an ADIC Scalar
i2000
with about 10 LTO3 drives.  A good bit of the data is on multiple older
machines
which will continue to backup over the network to a dedicated storage node
and
then onto tape.  We are currently running Solaris 9 on our servers and
storage nodes,
but I have concerns over what hardware to choose going forward.  Sun's
midrange
servers (like the v440 / v490) seem to be a bit slow on the I/O in
comparison to
offerings from other vendors - such as IBM running AIX.  We will connect
the storage
node to the network with either 2 GB ethernets, or a single 10G ethernet -
figuring
that a fully streaming LTO3 will pretty much use up a singe 1GB ethernet.

Any thoughts, recommendations, experiences, warnings would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Ruskowsky
Jefferies and Company

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation.
Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result
of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited.