Networker

[Networker] Restoring with two libraries...

2006-01-10 14:40:51
Subject: [Networker] Restoring with two libraries...
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:39:47 -0500
All,

         Unfortunately for us, we have two libraries with different
tape drives -- one with AIT-3; the other with AIT-4.   We have implemented
our backup pools so that full backups and level 5/7 backups go to one library,
and daily backups go to another.   Before May, there was only one library.

When users go to restore, they may be informed that the required tapes
are present and on line, but if some tapes are in one library and
some tapes are in the other, the recovery process insists that all tapes be
in the library that the first tape was in. This seems unearably stupid to me.
and, because AIT-4 drives can't read AIT-3 tapes, we wind up in an
impossible situation.

I understood that the "next" version of Networker would fix this
so that restore could actually occur from the library where the known tape
is really residing.   Does anyone know if 7.3 fixes this annoying problem?

Has anyone seen anything about this?

Matt

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!

"signoff networker" in the