Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato 7.3

2006-01-04 18:20:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato 7.3
From: Siobhan Ellis <Siobhan.Ellis AT ENSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:18:55 +1100
I can only speak from the point of view of 1 year ago, but there was no
intention to stop putting effort into the CLI.

NMC is not just an admin GUI, it's also a reporting package and it can run
on Linux. It's free. Try it! :-)

Siobhan

Siobhán Ellis
Principal Technology Consultant
ENSTOR Pty Ltd
Level 10, 118 Alfred St
Milsons Point
NSW 2061
Australia

Mobile: +61 424 750 544
Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au
web: http://www.enstor.com.au

Tim Mooney wrote:
> As an aside, it was kind of a surprise to me to find out that apparently
> a lot of customers don't like the nwadmin GUI on UNIX and have been
> clamouring for a replacement.  Maybe it's because I've been using it so
> long that it's warped my brain, but I really don't have any complaints
> about the native Motif GUI.  It's not perfect by any means, but I can
> think of lots of other places in the product where I wish Legato/EMC
> would spend more time.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but our environment is 100% Linux and
I don't think I've fired up a Networker gui in 5 years. Our servers do
not X installed, just the required support libs to satisfy dependencies.
Everything we do is via SSH or console, and in that area Networker
shines. The Networker CLI tools and man pages are outstanding in my
opinion and big reason why Networker is one of the few closed source
vendor backed solutions our Linux admin team actually likes. (Or at
least we don't whine about it daily!)

My concerns would be the command line tools functionality languishing in
the face of development efforts for NMC or other gui solutions along
with excessive install requirements to support a gui interface we never
plan to use. While I understand the marketing need to provide a capable
gui for administration I hope that what I consider one of the core
strengths of Network doesn't die.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
IBM Linux Technology Center

type
"signoff networker" in the
if