Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 and Linux kernel 2.6

2005-12-30 12:32:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 and Linux kernel 2.6
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:29:49 -0500
Hi,

I definitely had the same issue and had to revert to CORE1 for both my
Server and Storage node.   They are both Qualstar TLS46120 with  AIT-3  or
AIT-4 drives. In our case, it looked like the drives were ok but the jukebox was not. I'd be curious to know if anyone else is running a server with any of
the higher Fedora distributions.   And please, no DISTRO Zealots.

            Happy New Year, all.
                                                               Matt

Itzik Meirson wrote:

I have tried to install Networker 7.3 on a RedHat Fedora Core 3 that is
based on the 2.6 kernel.
Networker on my Fedora core seems to not be able to handle the jukebox
and its devices.
Is the Fedora kernel that different from RedHat ES4 or is this a flaw in
the new 7.3?
As you can see below, the FC3 properly recognizes the devices but
Networker seems to be confused.

[root@linuxim ~]# uname -r
2.6.12-1.1381_FC3
[root@linuxim ~]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
 Vendor: IBM      Model: IC35L018UWD210-0 Rev: S5CQ
 Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
 Vendor: EXABYTE  Model: EXB-480          Rev: 6.05
 Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
 Vendor: EXABYTE  Model: Mammoth2         Rev: v05d
 Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
 Vendor: EXABYTE  Model: Mammoth2         Rev: v05d
 Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
[root@linuxim ~]# stinit -vv
stinit, processing tape 0
The manufacturer is 'EXABYTE', product is 'Mammoth2', and revision
'v05d'.
stinit, processing tape 1
The manufacturer is 'EXABYTE', product is 'Mammoth2', and revision
'v05d'.
stinit, processing tape 2
Initialized 2 tape devices.
[root@linuxim ~]# changers
(pid 14754): SYSTEM error: failed to set SCSI timeout on device
'/dev/nst0' (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
(pid 14754): SYSTEM error: failed to set SCSI timeout on device
'/dev/nst1' (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
[root@linuxim ~]# inquire
(pid 14760): SYSTEM error: failed to set SCSI timeout on device
'/dev/nst0' (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
[email protected]:                            |Disk, /dev/nst0
(pid 14760): SYSTEM error: failed to set SCSI timeout on device
'/dev/nst1' (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
[email protected]:                            |Disk, /dev/nst1
[root@linuxim ~]#
Itzik

"signoff networker" in the

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!

"signoff networker" in the