Networker

Re: [Networker] Remote backups using legato

2005-12-21 15:18:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Remote backups using legato
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:15:15 -0500
Hi Alain

As a rule, I would strongly discourage the use of magnetic tapes at remote
sites.  Much has been written about why this is bad, so I won't repeat it
here.  Instead, consider using backup-to-disk.  For remote sites, I like to
have the disk receiving the backups be located at the remote site; after the
backups, clone the savesets to a central site.  Thus, you have fast restores
at the remote site, but also have the data kept at the central site for
disaster recovery.  PLUS, NetWorker knows about all of the copies, and so
can track them and (in NetWorker V7.3) set different browse/retention
policies for each copy of the saveset.  And all creation of tape copies (if
needed) can be done by the experience IT staff at the central site.

You could put a small storage array at each remote site.  Or, you could put
a large storage array at your central site, and do your backups over the
link.  Either way, you should end up with one copy of your backups at the
central site.  If you have lots of unused CPU cycles in your remote site
systems, you could enable NetWorker client-side compression to compress the
data before it goes over the link.

By the way, did you mean '10 megabytes per second' or '10 megabits per
second'?  Knowing this would help us make sure that the (300 GB x 5%/day) =
15 GB per site fits within a reasonable backup window.

Hope this helps!
tl

Terry Lemons
CLARiiON Appliance Engineering
CLARiiON Application Solutions Integration
EMC²
where information lives
4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580